179th Street Reconstruction Project
The City and County are partnering to complete improvements along 179th Street from Cedar Avenue (CSAH 23) to Fieldcrest Avenue to rehabilitate the roadway surface, improve intersection operations, make safety improvements and provide for increasing traffic levels. The project improvements will include:
- Reconstruction to a 2-lane divided highway
- Single lane roundabout at 179th Street/Flagstaff Avenue intersection. The roundabout is designed to be easily converted to a 2x1 in the future as traffic volumes increase on 179th Street.
- Dedicated turn lanes at intersections
- Geometric modifications
The project improvements are proposed to be completed consistent with the findings from the County Road 9/179th Street Corridor Study (PDF). The study was completed in partnership with Dakota County to establish the framework for the future turnback of Dodd Boulevard and 179th Street. Visit the Corridor Study’s website for more information.
Construction of the improvements will be completed in 2020. The project will be completed in two phases:
Phase 1: Cedar Avenue to Flushing Hills Court
- May-November 30, 2020
- During this stage, 179th Street will be closed from Cedar Avenue to Flushing Hills Court. Detour signage will be in place for local, regional and Crossroads business traffic
- The portion of the project between Cedar Avenue to the Cub Foods entrance on 179th Street will only be closed for a period of 45 calendar days
- Phase 1 closure and detour map (PDF)
Phase 2: Flushing Hills Court to Fieldfare Way (including the roundabout at Flagstaff Avenue/179th Street)
- June 8-August 20, 2020
- During this stage, the intersection of 179th Street and Flagstaff Avenue will be closed to all traffic. Detour signing will be place for local and regional traffic.
- Phase 2 closure and detour map (PDF)
- Phase 2 local area and business access map (PDF)